PREFAB MODULAR HOMES
Years ago, when most consumers heard the term - prefab modular homes - their thoughts conjured up a small rancher with an unattractive low pitched roof and not much curb appeal. Even though that mindset at the time was not accurate it did not help the modular industry image. Fast forward to the computer age and view modern prefab homes in our Gallery or Designs section. These are all considered prefab modular homes and all can be customized to suit your lifestyle. Our prefab home prices all reflect our standard specifications found in our Document Library and can be customized to suit your requirements.
Prefab homes are also called modular homes. Modular means a method of construction that utilizes pre-engineered modules that are transported in sections to a job site 80-85% complete, installed on foundations and finished. Prefab modular homes should not be confused with manufactured homes which are also called double wides and are built to sit on steel rails, not on foundations. Prefab homes look like any other home and appraise the same as a comparable site built home. As far as financing, banks and lending institutions treat both types of construction the same. Likewise, there are no differences in insuring the prefab homes and property.
Today’s building technology has allowed modern prefab homes to be built in most any style from prefab log homes to highly customized contemporaries and anywhere in between. And it doesn’t stop with houses. Modular plants are busy building banks, schools, office buildings, motels and hotels. Chances are you’ve been in many modular structures and probably never realized it.
What are the benefits of using prefab homes?
- All aspects of the factory construction process are monitored
- Factory construction enables consistent quality control stations and third party independent state approvals inspections
- The weather does not interfere with construction and cause delays
- Inventory is protected from weather-related damage and the home is built in an enclosed environment eliminating mold issues.
- All construction materials, as well as interior features, are purchased in volume for additional savings
- All technicians, craftsmen and personnel work year round and are professionally supervised
- The length of construction time is reduced from that of stick built homes.
- Superior craftsmanship and structural integrity.
- Prefab home prices on our website historically are locked in for a longer time frame than that of a stick built home using materials purchased locally.
See what FEMA and Bob Villa have to say about prefab homes:
" ‘Modular homes are built with 20 to 30 percent more materials than typical stick-built homes because they have to withstand the transport from the factory to the site.’ In a FEMA study following the Hurricane Andrew in 1992, it was found that wood-frame modular homes in hard-hit Dade County, Florida, stood up to the devastating winds better than stick-built homes. The finding states: ‘Overall, relatively minimal structural damage was noted in modular housing’……The report also points out that the construction method of modular homes ‘provided an inherently rigid system that performed much better than conventional residential framing.”